Know better, do better. I love this mantra. I have in the past beaten myself up for choice I’ve made, but it always helps me to remember that I was doing the best with the information I had at that time. BUT, once we know more, once we’ve researched, once we’ve been educated on a particular issue or topic, then it is our responsibility to act on that new knowledge and make changes accordingly.
This was the case for me when discovering the negative effects that both conventional beauty products and supermarket cleaning products have on the body when applied or inhaled.
I won’t go into too much detail here but two of the places in your home you can make the biggest difference to your toxic load are under your kitchen sink and your bathroom vanity!
Did you know that environmental experts estimate the average household contains about 62 toxic chemicals! We’re exposed to them routinely — from the phthalates in synthetic fragrances to the noxious fumes in oven cleaners. Ingredients in common household products have been linked to asthma, cancer, reproductive disorders, hormone disruption and neurotoxicity.
I recommend either choosing a brand of cleaning product that prioritise transparency in their ingredients and voluntarily disclose them, or better yet make your own from scratch (it’s easier than you think!). There are many effective and safe cleaners that can be made out of non-toxic household staples like baking soda, plant-based dish soap, vinegar, and hydrogen peroxide.
Here are a few for you to try:
ALL PURPOSE SPRAY
- 500ml glass spray bottle
- 1⁄4 cup white vinegar (optional)
- 1 3⁄4 cups distilled water (or boiled and cooled) * important to prevent bacterial growth)
- 30 drops doTERRA essential oil
- 30 drops On Guard
- 15 drops of Lemon and 15 drops On Guard
- 15 drops Peppermint and 15 drops On Guard
Put all ingredients in a 500ml glass spray bottle and top with filtered water. Shake gently to combine and use as needed.
- 100ml glass spray bottle
- 3 Tbsp witch hazel
- 10 drops doTERRA Wild Orange essential oil
- 10 drops doTERRA Lavender essential oil
Put all ingredients in spray bottle and top with filtered water. Shake gently to combine and use as needed.
NON-STREAK GLASS CLEANER
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tbsp white vinegar
- 2 Tbsp rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol)
- 10 drops peppermint essential oil
Mix everything together. Shake before spray. Wipe clean
- 1 cup of bicarb
- 1/4 cup of citric acid
- 30 drops of essential oil/s
- silicone mould
- Mix the bicarb and citric acid together and add just enough vinegar so that the dry ingredients come together. Add your essential oils, press into moulds and let sit overnight.
- The next day press them out of the moulds and store in an airtight container.
- Drop bomb into the toilet and let sit for 30 mins (enjoy the fizz!). The go-ahead and scrub and rinse for a sparkling loo.
- 1⁄2 cup baking soda
- 1 Tbsp OnGuard Cleaning Concentrate or liquid Castile Soap
- 10 drops lemon essential oil
- enough water to make a paste (approx 1/4 cup)
Mix well. Spread across the surface you wish to clean. Let it sit for 15mins, then wipe off.
Personal care products like makeup, lotions, and even baby shampoo can contain chemicals that have been linked to everything from reproductive complications to cancer. Choose natural, clean versions from companies that don’t use things like parabens (preservatives) and a whole host of petroleum-derived ingredients, or better yet, make your own!
Some super easy DIY swaps to make in your skincare and beauty regime are:
- 10ml glass roller bottle
- 10 drops Whisper Blend
- 5 drops Balance Blend
- 5 drops Wild Orange
- fractionated coconut oil
Add oils to your roller bottle and top with fractionated coconut oil.
NOURISHING FACE SERUM – full recipe HERE
- 4 cup arrowroot powder (or organic cornstarch or tapioca flour)
- 3 drops Lavender essential oil
- 2 drops Rosemary essential oil
*for dark hair use 2 Tbsp arrowroot and 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- Place the arrowroot, or arrowroot and cocoa powder, into a small jar.
- Add the essential oil and mix to combine.
Apply with an old make-up brush to the roots or oily parts of your hair, or use a comb to ensure even application.
Follow this link If you’d like to find out more, and why they’re the safest and most healthy option for me and my family. You can also purchase these gorgeous oils at a discounted rate, by creating a wholesale account here.
Also come along to an Essential Oil Workshop and learn how you can truly enhance your health and well-being with Essential Oils.
Photos by Daiga Ellaby