Frequently Asked Questions
When investing in your health, it’s important to be informed.
What is a Health Coach?
I’m betting that 99% of you answered “yes” to that question.
Why? Because behavior change is hard. And knowing is not the same as doing.
This is where a well-trained health coach comes in.
A good health coach doesn’t just tell people what to do. He or she helps them to discover their own motivation and strategy for change, develop their own plan and goals, and stick to those commitments.
Why use a Health Coach?
Coaching allows time in your busy schedule to acknowledge the issues you’d like to change and sets out a plan on how to go about it. It helps you to create workable changes that will last a lifetime.
Lifestyle and wellness coaching is all about bridging the gap between where you are, and where you’d like to be in your wellness journey.
As a coach, I am here to educate and support you to make informed decisions so you can be empowered to take control of your own health and wellness. I won’t tell you what to eat or what to do but will work with you to identify some unhealthy/unhelpful behaviours, educate on why these are limiting your health and work TOGETHER to come up with better choices, strategies and goal.
How can a Health Coach help me achieve my goals for a better lifestyle?
- helping to identify areas of change most important to YOU
- working with you to define a vision statement
- assisting in developing achievable goals
- developing a plan of action TOGETHER
- empowering you to take responsibility for your own health
- supporting you in your goals, be it weight loss, sleep, energy, stress management or improving diet
Do Health Coaches actually work?
- Behavior change and results occur reliably when there is a helping relationship (coaching) that;
- Addresses an individual’s health and fitness goals,
- Is collaborative and motivating, and
- Encourages active learning.
- Evidence from the majority of the research is that Health Coaching leads to improved outcomes (compared to non-coaching) in the following areas:
- Increased weight loss
- Better nutrition and diet
- Increased strength and fitness
- Increased motivation
- Improved lifestyle habits
- Improved self-image
- Increased health knowledge
- Improved self-care
- Improved management of chronic conditions
- Decreased health-care costs
Do I have to have a serious health issue to benefit from a Health Coach?
A Health Coach can help you to assess your level of health and well-being and to work on ANY issues at hand, no matter how seemingly small.
A Health Coach will provide the human touch to motivate you toward setting and achieving your goals through a personalised plan of action.
However, if you do have a serious health issue, a Health Coach can work in collaboration with your doctor if you need to modify your lifestyle due to an issue such as diabetes, high blood pressure or high cholesterol.
What areas do you specialise in?
- food intolerances and digestive issues
- mums and bubs nutrition
- pre-conception, pregnancy and post-partum nutrition
- fussy eaters
- decreasing/managing stress/prioritising self-care
- increasing energy
- hormone regulation
- developing a healthy relationship with food
- boosting nutrient content of the diet
What can I expect from a consultation?
- discuss concerns about your health and lifestyle
- formulate individual goals for your own life
- work towards goals and habit changes, and create new ones as you progress
- learn to create balance
- learn to listen to your body
- increase your knowledge of nutrition, wellness and lifestyle
- leave each session feeling empowered and equipped for the week to come
Will a Health Coach tell me what to do?
- work closely with you to guide you towards awareness of what will work for you as an individual
- collaborate with you to guide you to your most vibrant self
- partner with you to identify physical barriers and obstacles, as well as psychological patterns of thinking that may be keeping you trapped in a life less extraordinary
- provide you with tools to achieve your own personal definition of success
- provide insightful feedback and gently pose questions and challenge beliefs that may not be serving you
- be your cheerleader, but also your accountability partner
- assist you in putting together a plan to empower you in making a maintainable positive lifestyle change
How much time will Health Coaching take?
A few sessions may be all you need to feel you’re able to make a substantial change in your area/s of concern, however, the accountability a Health Coach offers can be useful long term also.
I typically encourage clients to commit to a minimum of 3 months. This recommendation is based on the principles of behaviour change and allows my clients to make sustainable health behaviour changes through small steps and repetition, and while receiving ongoing support and partnership from me as their health coach.
I would like to get a feel for how you work with clients. Can I do so without purchasing any sessions?
I offer an introductory session free of charge. We’ll talk about your goals, discuss my approach and determine whether we’re a good fit for working together.
What to get your sparkle back and live a nourished and vibrant life?
I felt listened to and not judged!
My sessions with Nicky were encouraging and positive. I was able to talk freely without feeling judged. We created a long-term vision, which was broken down into smaller obtainable goals to work on each week. It made what seemed impossible, possible! Thank you!
Uncovering the deeper issues
Working with Nicky has been so beneficial for my physical and mental health. I was able to dig deeper into why I had negative lifestyle patterns and work through the barriers that have previously stopped my attempts to create healthier choices. I have so much more energy now to live the life I want!
Just the accountability I needed
Nicky is professional and knowledgeable, without being pushy. I felt supported and encouraged every step of the way. Working alongside Nicky was just the accountability I needed to make permanent changes in my bad habits.