Have you made a resolution to try and get the kids eating healthier breakfasts? Having trouble weening them off their old favorites? This recipe really couldn’t be easier and may just be your solution!
And no, they’re not just for the kids! I love these as a smoothie topping or I grab a handful as a snack when I need the taste of chocolate.
Makes: 4 cups
Time: 30 mins
- 4 cups puffed rice (preferably organic)
- 2 Tablespoons raw cacao powder
- 3 Tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 2 Tablespoons rice malt syrup (or maple syrup)
- OPTIONAL EXTRAS (for the adults) – 1 Tab chia seeds, 2 Tabs chopped walnuts, 2 Tabs goji berries or 2 Tabs cacao nibs.
1. Heat oven to 160 degrees. Place baking paper on a large baking tray.
2. Place puffed rice in a large mixing bowl.
3. Add cacao powder and mix well until puffs covered in powder.
4. Drizzle puffs with oil and syrup. Add optional extras if using.
5. Place puff mixture on a baking tray and spread out into a thin layer (to ensure quicker baking).
6. Bake for 25-30 mins, turning the mixture halfway through. Be careful not to burn the mixture. There’s a short window between being crisp and burnt!
7. Eat immediately with almond milk, greek yogurt and chopped banana or store in an airtight container for 4 days (important to place in a container as it will absorb moisture in the air and go soggy if left out).