I read something shocking the other day…….did you know that medical staff at IVF clinics are not permitted to wear fragrance because it is widely known to be destructive to embryos? Seriously!
And yet every pharmacy, boutique and major chain is free to market it to you and waft it everywhere as you enter the store. It’s defies logic that companies continue to manufacture these products, and non existent regulations make it easy (and legal) for companies to hide toxic ingredients simply by disguising them as ‘fragrance’. In fact companies can use up to 400 ingredients under the same blanket term ‘fragrance’ to protect their trade formulas!
Research has shown that common ingredients found in purfume can cause headaches, sinus inflammation, itchiness, hormonal imbalances, dizziness, fatigue, intestinal inflammation and much more.
A US study showed that the level of endocrine disrupting chemicals present in urine was reduced by 27-45% after only 3 days of switching to a low tox self care products! 3 DAYS!
With pure essential oils in your hands as well as some cheap ingredients, it is so easy to create a beautiful personalised purefume blend that not only does NO harm, but can actually HEAL your gorgeous body and cells.
Makes: 3 x 30ml tins
Prep: 15 mins
- 3 tsp candelilla wax (or beeswax)
- 2 Tbsp shea butter
- 3 tsp sweet almond oil or fractionated coconut oil
- 20-30 drops of your favourite essential oils
- rose petals or calendula/chamomile flowers (optional)
- In a double boiler, melt together wax, butter and oil until combined.
- Pour into your tins and allow to cool for 2-3 minutes.
- Add your choice of essential oils to the individual tins and stir to evenly distribute throughout the balm.
- Sprinkle with rose petals or flowers and then place in the fridge for 30 minutes to set.
TO USE: Gently melt a small amount between your finger tips and apply to pulse points throughout the day as needed.
OIL COMBO SUGGESTIONS:
- Ylang Ylang, Jasmine and Green Mandarin
- Passion and Bergamot
- Citrus Bliss
- Whisper and Wild Orange
- Patchouli, Geranium & Lavender
Kate Grenville, 2017. The Case Against Fragrance. The Text Publishing Company, Australia.