It’s winter, so lets take advantage of all nature has to offer us in terms of natural antimicrobial herbs!
Lemons are a great source of vitamin C and promote recovery also boosting the immune system to limit the severity of illness.
Ginger promotes immune responses to kill viruses. Many sore throats are caused by viral infections that cannot be treated with antibiotics. Ginger may provide sore throat relief and speed up recovery time (1)
Studies have shown that garlic may reduce the risk of becoming sick in the first place, as well as how long you stay sick. It may also reduce the severity of symptom (2)
Here’s two great recipes for you to try:
Soothing Lemon-Ginger Syrup
- 1 organic lemon, sliced and deseeded
- 1 Tbsp raw ginger, 2 inches, grated
- raw local honey
- Slice lemon, deseed and add to the jar with your grated ginger.
- Drizzle honey over top leaving 2 cm at top. Mix then seal well.
- Leave at room temp for 48 hours, opening 1 x per day to push lemons down into the honey and ‘burp’ the ferment
- After 2 days your honey will be more watery and syrup like. At this point transfer into the fridge where you can use it as you need. Add 1-2 tsp to a hot water or tea.
- 1 Onion, finely sliced
- 2 x garlic cloves
- 1 cup raw local honey
1. Slice the onions into circles and the garlic into small pieces. Place them into a glass jar and drizzle honey over it until the onion and garlic are covered. Store in a jar in the fridge.
2. Your cough mixture is ready in 12-24hrs. At the first sign of a cough, take 1/2-1 teaspoon of the syrup every hour or two. If you already have a cough, take 1 tsp 3 x day to speed up your recovery.
*Will last 4 weeks in fridge.
Informational purposes only, not medical advice