Sleep. You never value it so much until you don’t get it!
Any other mama’s out there feel me?
I was never big on needing or prioritising sleep until I started shift work as a nurse. I found that I really struggled to sleep during the day (I always knew I had a strong circadian rhythm) and so got about 4-5 hours of sleep and had to do another 12 hour night shift straight after…three nights in a row.
This did put me in good stead however for motherhood! The wakeful newborn nights were doable for me as I’d been accustomed to ZERO sleep as a nurse. Everything is relative right?
BUT sleep is so important, and when you’re either not getting enough total hours or not getting the quality due to waking often, it can take a toll on both our physical AND mental health significantly. For me, I find I feel anxious, easily overwhelmed, reactive and are more than likely to get a sore throat. For our kiddos, they get scratchy, the tantrums get out of control and they too are more prone to catching the latest bug that’s going around.
I often speak to clients and team members about sleep hygiene and creating a gorgeous night time routine. One of my favourite things to do is incorporate oils into a night time routine as an aromatic trigger for sleep. Not only do the chemical constituents in the oil work on our limbic system to help induce sleep, our subconscious starts to associate the aromatics of an oil with feelings of calm, rest and peace. Talk about a double whammy of effectiveness!
My Top 5 ways to use essential oils to support a restful night sleep.
1. Add some magnesium flakes to the bath with some Lavender Peace (for kids) or AromaTouch Blend (for adults).
2. Apply an ‘aromatic dressing’ after your bath/shower – take a small glass bowl, fill with carrier oil and add calming oils of your choice (I adore frankincense, lavender, roman chamomile, adaptiv, cedarwood, lavender peace, peace, balance etc) gently massage all over your body.
3. A few hours before you are ready for sleep, put some calming oils in the diffuser in the lounge eg. lavender, wild orange and frankincense. And make sure you put the diffuser on in the kids room 30 minutes BEFORE you want them to sleep.
4. Right before bed apply your sleepy time roller blend to the soles of your feet, temples, chest and along your forearms. The soles of feet, chest and up/down spine are awesome places for kids.
5. Set the diffuser in your bedroom with a calming blend, pop a drop of lavender on your pillow or you can also make up a gorgeous linen spray using witch hazel, water + oils.
My personal favourite Sleep Soundly Blend is this:
- 5 drops Lavender Peace
- 5 drops Citrus Bliss
- 3 drops Juniper Berry
- 3 drops Roman Chamomile
For my 3yo daughter I use:
- 2 drops Juniper Berry
- 2 drops Lavender Peace
Add all oils to a 10ml roller bottle and top with fractionated coconut oil.
I apply this beautiful concoction, or a version of, every night before bed. Rolling it onto my wrists, behind my neck or on the soles of my feet it brings about a calming of my nervous system and help me switch off. If I’ve also got my unsettled newborn on me…the aroma also seems to settle her (I love acting as her personal diffuser!).
It’s that easy guys, all you need is a 10ml roller bottle, some fractionated coconut oil (or another pure carrier oil) and pure therapeutic grade essential oils and you’re good to go. Do know that cheap, low grade oils will not have the desired effect. Many essential oil brands on the market are not pure – always read the label and make sure they contain no synthetic ingredients before you put them anywhere near your skin.
For the sake of my health, my oil of choice is doTERRA, rigorously tested and some of the most pure and potent essential oils in the world. If you’re yet to start your essential oils journey you can buy them via me at wholesale price, right here.