I made these for a vegan girlfriend whose daughter was turning one. Even with plenty of cake on offer, the muffins were a hit.
Sweetened only by banana, these gluten-free, nutrient dense muffins are perfect for breakfast on the go and great for kids lunch boxes too.
Delicious slathered with nut butter or chia jam, they reheat beautifully after day one, but are best eaten in the first three days.
Makes: 12 medium sized muffins
- 1 Tbsp flax meal
- 3 Tbsp filtered water
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar (ACV)
- 3 brown mashed bananas
- 2 Tbsp cashew butter
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil (or coconut oil)
- 2/3 cup almond milk
- 2 Tbsp rice malt syrup (optional)
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1 cup porridge oats
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla powder
- jumbo oats and extra cinnamon to top
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees, and line or grease a muffin tray.
- In a small bowl, combine flax and water and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine ACV, bananas, cashew butter, oil, milk and sweetener if using. Mix to combine.
- Add flax meal the flours, oats, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon and stir to combine. Do not overmix or muffins will be dense.
- Spoon mixture into muffin tray the top with a sprinkle of jumbo oats and a pinch of cinnamon.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown.
Remove from oven and spread with your favourtie nut butter and berry chia jam.
Muffins are best kept in an airtight container and eaten in 3 days.