Deliciously light and flavorsome, this nutrient-dense Asian inspired soup is super easy to whip up and amazingly satisfying on a cold evening.
The recipe can be adapted depending on your preferences. Simply replace the tofu with chicken, the veggie broth for bone broth, or add an egg at the last minute, stirring it through for an extra protein boost.
Time: 20 mins
Makes: 2 large bowls of soup
- 4 cups of veggie stock/broth (or chicken broth)
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp white miso paste
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes
- 2 bulbs of bok choy
- 10 shitake mushrooms
- 1 carrot sliced
- 1 zucchini, spiralised
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 1 packet of rice noodles or Konjak (Shirataki) noodles
- 1 packet of tofu, pressed.
- 2 Tbsp sriracha sauce
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- In a stock pot, place veggie broth, yeast and miso paste and bring to the boil.
- Add carrots, bok choy and mushrooms and simmer for 4-5 mins.
- Slice pressed tofu (tofu should be pressed for 30 mins under a heavy weight to remove excess liquid) into 2cm squares and place in a bowl with the sriracha sauce.
- Heat a pan with sesame oil and cook the tofu until lightly browned.
- Drain liquid from Konjak noodles and add to the broth along with the spiralised zucchini. Simmer for another 2 minutes to soften.
- Remove from heat and transfer to two bowls. Top with tofu, spring onions, and chili flakes.